I've put together a list of Halloween themed books that are first grade appropriate and super fun to teach with!
This list of October read alouds is sure to keep your reading lessons fun and engaging!
Here's a few tips to keep things aligned with your curriculum:
- Read your Halloween book on Monday and do a deep dive into a different skill each day.
- Choose one skill to focus on and read a different Halloween book each day, but focus on the same skill!
- Tacky and the Haunted Igloo: Character Traits
- Room on the Broom: Story Retell
- I Need My Monster: Author's Purpose
- Creepy Carrots: Illustrator's Use of Color in the Setting
- Combine your Halloween read aloud with your writing lesson!
- For example, read Space Case then have students write about what they want are dressing up as for Halloween.
- Read Crankenstein and have students write about what makes they cranky.
- Combine your Halloween book with a Science lesson.
- For example, read Shivery Shades of Halloween and discuss colors and properties of objects.